What is the Sirtfood Diet Program?
It is one of the fad diets that are followed by a number of celebrities, and it is a diet based on eating foods rich in some plant compounds called polyphenols, which increase the levels of some types of proteins in the body. Humans are called sirtuins and increase their activity. It is worth noting that the creators of this diet claim the existence of a skinny gene, and that increasing the percentage of these proteins improves the pathway of this gene.
What foods does the Sirtfood diet program depend on?
Foods rich in polyphenols have been called sirtfoods, including; Kale leaves, strawberries, onions, soy, parsley, olive oil, dark chocolate, wheatgrass, matcha tea, Medjool dates, turmeric, walnuts, and others.
Also, a large part of this system depends on drinking green juice, which must be consumed two to three times a day, which consists of watercress, parsley, celery, apples, lemon, ginger, and matcha tea.
Does the Sirtfood diet help you lose weight?
There is no scientific evidence that there is a specific gene responsible for weight loss, just as there is no scientific evidence to indicate that following this diet loses more weight than traditional weight loss systems. Like a balanced diet.
Also, this diet, like other diets, requires a reduction in daily calories, and therefore the reason for losing weight may be as a result of reducing calories and not due to eating certain foods.
Also, this diet claims a loss of approximately 3.5 kilograms in the first week, and this is normal for many people, as a large part of what is lost in the first week of reducing calories intake is water weight.
Damage and benefits of Sirtfood diet
Sirtfood diet damage
Here are some of the damages resulting from following the Sirtfood diet:
- There is a significant calorie restriction in this diet, which may lower your metabolic rate and, in turn, reduce weight loss.
- There is a strong desire to eat foods that are not allowed in this diet, which increases the risk of overeating when you finish following this diet, so this lost weight is often gained after you stop following it.
Benefits of Sirtfood Diet
Although many sirtfood foods are beneficial, there are no long-term studies showing that eating a sirtfood diet has positive effects on health, and therefore these and other plant foods can be added to the daily diet, but without assuming that they are the magic key to weight loss.
Healthy diet and weight loss
When wanting to lose weight, it is necessary to choose the appropriate diet that can be continued for life, and not for a temporary period of time. , including the following:
- Healthy weight loss rate: The healthy weight loss rate ranges between 0.5 to 1 kilogram per week, and this helps to avoid rapid weight loss that often does not last in the long term.
- Sufficient period of time: Successful weight loss requires a sufficient period of time and a great commitment to changing unhealthy lifestyles.
- Follow a balanced diet: that is, it contains all food groups; From proteins, carbohydrates, healthy fats, fruits, vegetables, and dairy, with the aim of obtaining all the required vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.
- Not following the systems that allow the introduction of a small number of foods: such as the diet focusing only on eating a certain type of food, or a few foods without others, or it dispenses with large food groups; Carbohydrates such as rice and bread.
- Follow systems that promote physical activity: Performing exercise stimulates weight loss, in addition to a large number of health benefits.
- Ensure that there is no medical condition that hinders weight loss: There are some health problems that may hinder weight loss. such as hypothyroidism; polycystic ovaries in women; chronic stress; Insulin resistance and other problems that must be addressed in order not to be an obstacle to the weight loss process.