The keto diet is one of the diets that relies primarily on consuming fat sources such as vegetable oils, protein sources such as meat, and avoiding carbohydrates. such as sugar, white bread, soft drinks, etc., and due to the absence of carbohydrates, which are the main source of energy, the body is forced 3 to 4 days after the start of the diet to use fats as an energy source, which leads to weight loss.
It is usually followed with the aim of losing weight, or for some diseases, but it should be noted that this diet should be followed for a short period only, and it is not preferable to adopt it for life, especially as it is one of the restricted diets that prevents obtaining carbohydrate sources that are necessary for the human body, and it should be noted that it may be accompanied by some side effects; Such as constipation, a decrease in the level of sugar in the blood, and indigestion, and it is not suitable for everyone, so it is recommended to consult a doctor and a nutritionist before following it.
Foods allowed on the keto diet
Here are the foods that are allowed to be eaten on the keto diet:
- Seafood: especially fish rich in beneficial fats such as salmon, sardines, herring, shrimp, crab, etc. They are all free or low in carbohydrates, with the exception of some types of shellfish.
- Eggs: It can be consumed as desired, boiled or fried, as one large egg contains less than 1 gram of carbohydrates.
- Non-starchy vegetables: These are vegetables that grow above the ground (that is, they are not rooted). Examples of them are; Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, Swiss chard, and watercress, in addition to broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, cucumber, eggplant, tomatoes, and peppers. They are also a rich source of fiber, and can be prepared with butter or olive oil as desired.
- Full-fat dairy products: You can eat butter, cream, and cheese, but on the keto diet, it is forbidden to drink milk. As one cup contains 15 grams of carbohydrates, and it is forbidden to eat low-fat dairy products.
- Meat: Unprocessed meat can be eaten while following the keto diet, such as; Red meat, such as beef and lamb, and poultry, such as chicken and turkey.
- Sources of fats: healthy vegetable fats can be used; Such as olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, olives, and with regard to nuts, they are also sources of healthy fats, but they must be eaten in moderation during the keto diet, as some types are high in their carbohydrate content; Such as cashews, pecans, and macadamia. Butter can also be added, with the need to point out, but it is an unhealthy fat, and it must be consumed in moderation.
- Berries: Berries are among the various types of fruits allowed in keto, in addition to strawberries in moderation.
- Drinks: you can get water, coffee, and tea, provided that they are free of any additives, and you can also eat homemade meat bone broth.
- Dark chocolate and cocoa: Dark chocolate and cocoa can be obtained during the keto diet, especially as they are a rich source of antioxidants.
- Seasonings and sauces: mayonnaise can be obtained, making sure that it does not contain sugar, and some sauces can be obtained, but from time to time; Such as tomato sauce (making sure that it does not contain sugar), balsamic vinegar, and fresh garlic.
Foods Not Allowed On The Keto Diet
Grains and their products: such as wheat and wheat flour, corn, rice, oats, barley, and other grains, and the products of these grains such as bread and pasta.
Starchy vegetables: such as corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, squash, and pumpkin.
Legumes: such as lentils, chickpeas, beans, beans, and others.
- Sweeteners and sweets, in various forms: such as white sugar, honey, and artificial sugar substitutes, in addition to juices and fat-free foods; because it is often added sugar to it.
- Some types of fruits: Although fruits are useful, they are rich in sugar, and many of them are rich in carbohydrates. such as apples, bananas, mangoes, and dates, and accordingly it is allowed to consume only the few types of carbohydrates such as berries and strawberries, as we mentioned previously.
- Processed or fried meat: It is preferable to reduce or avoid eating processed meat or cold meat. Such as salami, turkey, sausages, and others, as they can contain an amount of carbohydrates, and these meats are a source of unhealthy fats that harm the body.
- Unhealthy fats: such as vegetable shortening known as margarine, and sources of trans fats.
- Some types of sauces: such as ketchup and barbecue sauce.
The harms of the keto diet
- Nutrient deficiencies, where there are not enough vitamins and minerals daily.
- High blood acidity, which leads to kidney stones.
- Fat accumulation in the liver.
- High level of protein in the blood.
- High cholesterol and an increased risk of heart disease.