Healthy weight gain for pregnant women
A woman may not gain any extra weight or even lose some weight during the first trimester of pregnancy, but in the second and third trimesters, weight gain varies based on the woman’s weight before pregnancy; And it is as follows:
- If a woman suffers from thinness before pregnancy, the increase is from 12-18 kilograms.
- If the woman’s weight before pregnancy was in the normal range, the increase would be from 11-15 kilograms.
- If the pregnant woman suffers from weight gain before pregnancy, the increase is from 6-11 kilograms.
- If the pregnant woman suffers from obesity before pregnancy, the increase is from 5-9 kilograms.
Healthy ways to gain pregnant weight
In the beginning, a pregnant woman who wants to gain weight should consult her doctor before doing so, and here are some methods that may help a pregnant woman increase her weight:
Eat five to six small meals a day, as the pregnant woman may feel full due to the increased pressure on the stomach. Dividing meals can also contribute to solving the problem of nausea and stomach acidity when pregnant.
Ensure that there is easy-to-prepare food with the carrier wherever you go; Such as fresh or dried fruits, biscuits, yogurt, and nuts.
Consuming high-calorie drinks, such as smoothies, as well as fruit and vegetable juices. A pregnant woman may have difficulty eating or getting enough calories. This method contributes to obtaining the vitamins and minerals that a pregnant woman needs.
Eat high-calorie snacks between main meals. like; Peanut butter with an apple, cracker, or banana. A tablespoon of peanut butter provides 100 calories and 7 grams of protein.
consumption of nutritional supplements; like; adding protein powder to foods; It may increase the calories consumed, and before using nutritional supplements, you should consult your doctor.
Recipe for pregnant women to gain weight
As we mentioned earlier, drinks are a good choice for a pregnant woman who feels full quickly when eating, and in the following we will mention a recipe for a drink high in calories and protein:
Here are the ingredients needed to prepare this drink:
- One cup of vanilla flavored yogurt.
- A cup of low-fat milk, with a fat content of 2%.
- A medium-sized banana, sliced.
- 2 tablespoons of wheat germ.
- 2 tablespoons of protein powder.
How to prepare
Put the yoghurt, milk, banana pieces, wheat germ, and protein powder in a blender, and blend until the mixture becomes smooth, then put in a glass cup containing ice, and serve the drink directly.
One serving of this recipe is between 2 and a half to 3 cups, and the serving contains:
- 608 calories.
- 75 grams of carbohydrates.
- 32 grams of protein.
- 7 grams of fiber.
- 53 grams of sugars.
- 20 grams of fat.
And the calories in the recipe can be increased by 120 calories by adding a tablespoon of flax oil.